We've got your back.
We want you to win--that's why we've created 18 courses to guide you through every step of your campaign. In less than 90 minutes, you can go from novice to knowledgeable on essential campaign topics--like fundraising in Raising Money, or Digital Communications in Digital 101, or running top-notch canvassing and phone banking programs in Field Tactics.
Take our courses anytime, anywhere—they're all available on-demand 24/7 so you can take them all in one weekend or spread one over the course of a week, depending on what works for your schedule.
Decide to Run
So you think you want to run? This course will help you decide if running for office is right for you (and your family), determine what office to run for, and chart a path forward!Make the Decision
Get on the ballot, expand your network, and learn how to effectively ask for help. These courses will help you create a solid foundation for a strong campaign.
Getting Your Campaign Off the Ground
Learn the rules and set yourself up for success from day one by:
- Registering your campaign with election authorities
- Getting your name on the ballot
- Making your way through our "Getting Started Checklist"
OFF THE GROUND"
Building Your Network: Donors, Volunteers, & Validators
Identify the people you will need to power your campaign and empower them to support your success by:
- Compiling all of your contacts into one database or spreadsheet
- Researching other people and groups who can help you win
Making the Ask
Campaigns are won with the help of others. Learn and practice how to effectively:
- Ask for a contribution, vote or volunteer time
- Understand the donor point of view, and why it matters
- Check your attitude about raising money
Develop your skills to recruit, train, manage and retain volunteers:
- Make a list of where you will find potential volunteers
- Learn to motivate and retain volunteers
Fundraising & Finance
You'll need money to win. Learn how to raise money, manage your budget, and make sure you follow all of the laws while you do it.
Budgeting & Financial Compliance
Make your campaign’s budget and get your finances in order:
- Use our template to draft your campaign's budget
- Develop a system to track contributions and expenses
Writing Your Fundraising Plan
Plan to raise the money you need to win:
- Research how much past candidates raised
- Identify realistic goals
- Draft your fundraising plan
Learn how to raise money and achieve your fundraising goals:
- Run an effective call time operation
- Solicit donations via mail
- Respond to Political Action Committee questionnaires
Don't stop the presses! Get your campaign covered, instead. Earn media coverage and use social media and email to reach supporters and persuade new voters.
Crafting Your Message
Create a campaign message that is unique to you, using your story:
- Learn to use storytelling to communicate about policy
- Draft a 3-minute stump speech
Writing Your Communications Plan
Develop your earned media plan to spread your message to the voters you need to win:
- Create a media list
- Use our sample to write your communications plan
- Write a press release
Launch your campaign's digital presence:
- Create your website
- Gain a Facebook following
- Send your first email
It all comes down to getting the votes you need on Election Day, and talking to voters one-on-one is the most effective way to earn their votes.
Calculating Your Vote Goal
Identify how many votes you need to win:
- Project the turnout for your election
- Estimate the number of votes you can count on
- Estimate the number of voters you need to persuade
Get your campaign ready to contact voters through door knocking and phone banking:
- Decide when to use each tactic
- Write your scripts
- Prepare to train your volunteers
Identify the voters you need to persuade and turn out by:
- Whether they vote,
- Where they live, and/or
- Their key characteristics and demographics
Transition your field efforts to get committed supporters to the polls and get out the vote (GOTV):
- Identify which voters you will contact during GOTV
- Plan how your campaign will contact these folks
Ok, your campaign is serious now--time to solidify your support with unions, get your schedule organized, and learn how to make the most of events. It's go time!
Earning Union Support
Identify the unions whose endorsement you will seek, and learn how to earn it:
- Build a list of targeted unions for your campaign
- Practice your targeted pitch
Make time for the priorities and get your schedule in order:
- Decide what system you'll use to organize your schedule
- Prioritize your time
- Develop a plan for maintaining campaign-work-life balance
Learn to plan a successful event that contributes to your fundraising or field goals:
- Decide what success looks like for the event
- Use our checklists to create invitations and prep